Here are some things I've learned so far by being part of the SOL community.
1. It's hard to find time to write everyday, but I can do it. Small bits of time add up. I might not be able to write a complete draft at any one sitting, but I can write a paragraph, sketch a poem, jot down a few ideas, write an outline, list, web a story, or add to/revise something I already have. A lot can be done in short slices of time.
2. I'm not yet sure what kind of writer I'm supposed to be, and I 'm still trying to figure out the form that I have the ability to write best. But, I've narrowed it down to the forms I love to read: essays, poems, verse novel. Can I write in one of those forms well enough to touch readers? I'm still trying to find that out. Is there one form I'm best suited for? I think I'm getting closer to finding out.
3. Being part of a writing community feeds my soul and makes me feel like I've found my home.
4. Sharing our stories is important because I see my own reflection in the window of your words. I've laughed, cried, and learned with you and othe slicers. I've come to look forward to seeing what you are up to each day. I cheer you on, and think of you as I drift off to sleep.
5. When I write from my heart, I feel truly alive!
I have been a fan of Anne Lamott's for many years. I've read most of her books because I feel like she's a friend sharing her wisdom with me. Lately, I've been reminding myself to take this search for answers I've bee on, bird by bird. I read this interview today in the Huffington Post Blog where she shares some wonderful advice. . I hope you enjoy it!
I love your list and the honesty of your thoughts. I have found a home here too. It's been a process of discovery for me as a writer and teacher and a member of this slicing community. I also love Anne Lamott. I just read her article in the latest O magazine, "Feeling Full." Her writing is real to me. Your writing is real. Keep on!ReplyDelete
Margaret- Yes, I did see the article in O magazine. I haven't had time to read it yet, so I'm looking forward to it. Thank you for your kind comments. : )Delete
#5 is so important. Stay the course and continue to write.ReplyDelete
Elsie- I don't think I'll run out of topics so I'll keeping writing. I just hope that my writing will improve as I go along. : )Delete
I love your list. I need to read more of writers on writing. Thanks for sharing.ReplyDelete