Well, I think I've finally come up with an action plan that will work. It's so simple. I've used this strategy to plan my teaching goals for the last 3 yrs. I don't know why I never made the connection to the goals I set for myself.
At the beginning of every school year, our faculty formulates SMART goals. You've probably already heard of this strategey, but in case you haven't, here it is in a nutshell. SMART is an acronym for:
So, instead of my usual goal of improving my writing skills, my SMART goal is:
- attend our local spring writing conference
- enroll in an online poetry class this summer
- write for two poems each week
- read at least 3 poems every day
- read a book on writer's craft once a month
I have other writing goals too, but the "improving my writing" goal must come first.
What about you, what are your writing goals for 2010? How do you plan to accomplish them?