Linda Kulp Trout

Thursday, December 31, 2009

Thinking Ahead

Every Dec. 31 I write personal and professional goals that I plan to accomplish during the new year. Actually, it's more like revising the ones I didn't accomplish the year before. It's embarrassing to admit that I've had the same goals for years and years. I start out determined and inspired, but I never quite get there.
Well, I think I've finally come up with an action plan that will work. It's so simple. I've used this strategy to plan my teaching goals for the last 3 yrs. I don't know why I never made the connection to the goals I set for myself.

At the beginning of every school year, our faculty formulates SMART goals. You've probably already heard of this strategey, but in case you haven't, here it is in a nutshell. SMART is an acronym for:
Specific
Measureable
Attainable
Relevent
Timely

So, instead of my usual goal of improving my writing skills, my SMART goal is:
  • attend our local spring writing conference
  • enroll in an online poetry class this summer
  • write for two poems each week
  • read at least 3 poems every day
  • read a book on writer's craft once a month

I have other writing goals too, but the "improving my writing" goal must come first.

What about you, what are your writing goals for 2010? How do you plan to accomplish them?

No comments:

Post a Comment