Linda Kulp Trout

Thursday, March 22, 2012

SOL and Poetry Friday: A Poem for My Granddaughter


Today is my granddaughter's second birthday. I can't believe she's already two! It wasn't that long ago that I sat with the rest of the family watching her on a 3-D sonogram. Back then, I couldn't have imagined the overwhelming joy she would bring into our lives.

I wanted to write a poem for her birthday.  I tried to come up with something cute and clever, but nothing seemed to work.  So I decided to write a letter poem from my heart that she can read when she gets older and know what I was thinking on her second birthday.
Of course, I got so busy this week that I didn't get to work on the poem until tonight.  I wanted it to be a special keepsake for her.  This is pretty much a first draft, and I know it needs a lot of work.  I don't have a writing critique group so I don't have anyone to give me feedback. If you would be willing to share your thoughts and suggestions, I would be most grateful.



I Want You to Know
    for Evie

I don’t get to see you
as much as I wish I could
I’ve missed so many
special moments in your life

I missed your first breath,
your first word, your first step,
your first tooth, your first haircut,
your first boo boo—

But I want you to know
my reason for not being there
has never been because I don’t care.

I think of you every morning,
and wonder how’ll you spend your day.
I think of you when I see other children
who are just about your age.
I think of you before I go to sleep
and every night I pray for God
to watch you, to guide you.

Because you are so young,
sometimes I worry—
you’ll forget about me.
It’s hard to remember a grandma
you hardly ever see.

And sometime I worry
that you’ll never know
how your laughter,
your hugs, your kisses
your bright blue eyes
and auburn curls
have become my reason
to try harder
to be someone—
worthy of your love
worthy of your trust
worthy of your forgiveness.

Most of all, I want you to know
that no matter how far
we are apart
love will keep us close—
and no matter how many firsts
I might  miss,
you will always be first
in my heart.

Love you forever,
Grandma





15 comments:

  1. She is a cutie. It makes me think of Patricia Polacco's words that Diana reported, red heads are enchanted, so you need one in your life. Your poem is lovely for her to treasure when she is older.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elsie. She cerainly is enchanting, and I do need her in my life. My son surprised me with a Skype call last night! I was so tickled to get to see her. I slept better last night than I have in weeks!

      Delete
  2. Dearest Linda, such a heartfelt poem. Your granddaughter is a darling. Happy Birthday to her and well wishes go to you and your family too. I am sure that this is a poem that she would treasure forever. Very beautiful. Moved me deeply. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words and well wishes. I am very grateful for being part of the kidlit community because I get to meet wonderful folks like you!

      Delete
  3. I don't think "heartfelt," EVER needs revising. Your words to your granddaughter are beautiful and I think you should keep them just the way they are. She will forever treasure them.
    I love Elsie's comment. I am going to have to pass the "Redheads are enchanted...." line along to my middle son who is also a redhead. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Natalie. I had never heard that line either, but Patricia Polacco has a red-headed older brother who she's written quite a bit about so she should know red-heads! : )

      Delete
  4. That is so sweet! She is adorable. I am sure she will cherish it when she gets older.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "And sometime I worry
    that you’ll never know
    how your laughter,
    your hugs, your kisses
    your bright blue eyes
    and auburn curls
    have become my reason
    to try harder
    to be someone—"

    That is poetry at its purest and most beautiful. What a lovely, heartfelt piece -- lovely because it is of the heart, where all the writing that means anything comes from. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul- coming from a gifted poet as you, your comments mean a lot to me. Thank you for your kind words of support!

      Delete
  6. Linda, she sure is a cutie - and I know the feeling (as I too am separated by too many miles from my grandbabies). But even though you don't see each other often enough, a unique grandma-bond develops. She won't forget you... love has a special and familiar smell. Plus you can always share words like your heartfelt poem someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Violet- we're so lucky to live in a time where we can do Skype calls. I don't do those very often because I'm not good with technology, but at least we can do that once in a while. My sons never had much of a relationship with their grandparents so it's very important to me to be an involved grandma to try to make up for what they missed.

      Delete
  7. I thought the last two stanzas really showed your love for her in an amazing way. (She is a cutie!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful, beautiful and heartfelt. She will treasure it. It's hard to think that as grandparents we may one day hope we are "worthy of forgiveness," but the day will come, and your poem acknowledges it. Thank you for sharing your personal tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, Joyce. Your words mean a lot!

    ReplyDelete