Linda Kulp Trout

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Just for Fun?


When I signed up for the March Madness poetry challenge, I told myself it was just for fun.  As my turn to write grew closer the idea of fun turned to fear, espcecially when I saw the list of "real" poets who would be participating.

I'm not fast when it comes to writing poetry, and this challenge requires one to write a poem in 36 hours after receiving an assigned word.  Thirty-six hours doesn't seem like long, but because I teach an extended day program, I only had a window of about four hours to come up with something I hoped would at least make sense.  Again, I tried to convince myself that it wasn't that important, it was just for fun. 

So, my poem went "live" this morning, and the voting got started. I didn't think I cared about winning, but suddenly, I REALLY wanted to win.  I guess that's human nature. We become competitive, and want to know that our efforts matter.  I know I won't get very far in this challenge, but it would be nice to at least get to round 2!   I admit my "opponent" wrote a very cool poem.  DARN! Why did she have to be so good? 

If you haven't checked out the March Madness challenge, take a peek.  I'm so impressed by the poems the others came up with. I really am having fun to voting for my favorites. I think you will too!

2 comments:

  1. I've been awaiting the arrival of the poems for the past week and have been reading them and voting. Which one was yours? :) So impressed that poets like you signed up for this madness. Very brave and very cool. BRAVO!!! So many good poems today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a lot of fun...and stress! I don't think I could pop out a poem with all that hanging over me, but you're right it'd be fun to try. Good luck.
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete