Linda Kulp Trout

Thursday, November 18, 2021

A Gift Idea: If You Want to Knit Some Mittens

In a few weeks, a sweet girl in our family will celebrate her third birthday. I like giving gifts that have a little magic in them.  When I read the adorable If You Want to Knit Some Mittens written by Laura Purdie Salas, illustrated by Angela Matteson, I knew I found something special!


 Laura's books are filled with beautiful language that teach as well as entertain. I ordered a copy of "Mittens" to add my "Laura" collection. I enjoyed it so much, I ordered a second copy to give as a gift. 

Then I ordered a cute little stuffed sheep


and a pair of golden mittens (which I attached to the illustration with removable painter's tape). I had planned to add a few strands of yarn, but in a rush to get to the post office before closing, I forgot about it. : (

I wish I could be there when our girl opens her gift.  I hope it brings her lots of smiles!  I'm ordering more copies (along with the "extras") for holiday gift-giving. I'm grateful to Laura and Angela for creating a lovely book young readers will enjoy for years to come!

 


 

A big thank you to Carol at Beyond LiteracyLink for hosting our Poetry Friday gathering this week.

I am thankful to be part of the Poetry Friday family. I hope you get to relax, spend time with your loved ones, and enjoy the beauty all around us.

Happy Thanksgiving!



21 comments:

  1. I have it, too, Linda, and am sharing it next week. My youngest granddaughter knits & she will love it so much! You've added so much to the book as a gift - yellow mittens, wonderful! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Linda. Your granddaughter will definitely love it! Laura's books are always so wonderful. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm *s-mitten* with the personal touches you added on to Laura's 'warm and wooly' story, Linda. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a wonderful gift -- love your additions. She will be thrilled!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's awesome! I like how you combined your crafting mind with your reader mind :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tim. That's a nice compliment coming from someone so creative! Happy Thanksgiving!

      Delete
  6. I'm so excited for this book! Knitting gloves is one of my favorite non-writing activities. Thanks for sharing about If You Want to Knit Some Mittens this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book is so adorable, Laura. You will love it! Happy Thanksgiving!

      Delete
  7. What a fun idea, Linda, to add the mittens to the page, and the little stuffed sheep. Any chance you could watch your granddaughter's reaction to opening it via Facetime or Zoom? I expect she'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carmela, I'm trying to arrange that. Happy Thanksgiving!

      Delete
  8. Linda, this is a great idea for a gift. I have not read Laura's book but it looks wonderful. Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a clever addition to the book - am sure your girl will adore the gift! I have a miss almost three who I know would love that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sally, I'm sure she would. It is just so much fun to read! Happy Thanksgiving!

      Delete
  10. And I'm grateful to YOU, Linda, for both doing this and sharing it here in our lovely online community. Thank you SO much <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Laura for writing a book both young and old will enjoy! xo

      Delete
  11. Thanks, everyone, for your kind comments <3

    ReplyDelete