Linda Kulp Trout

Thursday, October 1, 2020

Writing a Novel in Verse: My Journey

 


 

I've been trying to write a novel in verse for almost twenty years.  I tried out a bunch of different story ideas that seemed right at the time, but then I'd get 20 or 30 poems into the story and then stop.  I kept telling myself writing a novel is too big, too overwhelming, too complicated.   

I love reading novels in verse and have read dozens of them, but I didn't think I could possibly write one.  Well, after many false starts (and loads of self-doubt),I finally did.  Mind you, right now it's just a rough (very rough) draft, but the story is there, and I have something to work with. 

I've been doing a lot of thinking about what changed this time. Today, I'm sharing a few things that motivated me to get writing. In future posts, I'll share some of the tips and resources I've been using.  The Poetry Friday community has always helped me. My hope is writing about my journey will help someone else along the way. 

  • Dreams- Last year, someone I love suddenly passed away. This summer a seemingly healthy friend also suddenly passed away.  I wonder what dreams they left behind.
  •  Quarantine- no place to go, lots of time to think, wanting to do something productive
  • My son, Tim, works full-time, has two children, and still managed to write 5 novels. His passion for writing is contagious.  Recently, my older son, Chris, has also started writing fiction. Sharing our writing projects with my sons has is pure joy.
  •  All summer, I've been taking poetry classes taught by Georgia Heard  What an amazing teacher!  Meeting weekly with a talented group of poets in a positive and safe space has given me the push I needed to take risks with my writing. I'm still very nervous about sharing my poems, but I can feel myself growing as a writer. 
  • Most importantly, this time I'm telling my story. It is a middle grade fiction, but many of the poems are based on my life. An editor once told me, "Write the story only you can write."  Like many people, I just didn't think my own life would be all that interesting to anyone else, and I wasn't ready to relive certain parts of my life. But, the books that have helped me the most are the ones where authors share their own experiences.  So, maybe my story will help someone .

I decided now is the time to get this book written. At this point, I'm not thinking about publication. I'm just focused on writing the best story I can. Recording my progress on the blog will keep me accountable.

In a future post, I'll share steps I took to get my rough draft written. For now, I'll share a few of the new novels in verse I've read in the last few weeks.

BEFORE THE EVER AFTER- Jacqueline Woodson

WISHES, DARES, AND HOW TO STAND UP TO A BULLY-Darlene Beck Jacobson 

WHEN YOU KNOW WHAT I KNOW-Sonja K. Solter

REENI'S TURN-Carol Coven Grannick

 Thank you for reading. I'd love to hear about you writing journey and what motivates you to write for children.

A big thank you to Tabatha for hosting this week's Poetry Friday.



 

22 comments:

  1. Wow! You sound like me....I love the idea of writing a verse novel but I get gummed up about 20-30 poems in. It's very frustrating! But, I'm glad to see you have pushed through to a draft. It must feel great! Congratulations and thanks for sharing your inspiration. Keep at it, kid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda. I still have a long way to go, but I feel like I'm finally moving forward.

      Delete
  2. Best of wishes to you for this journey, Linda. It was nice to read your tips & how it's going so far. I love novels in verse, too, will love when you are sharing yours with the world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda. I appreciate your encouragement.

      Delete
  3. Happy to hear you're making good progress with your verse novel! Thanks for sharing your tips and the books you've read recently. They all sound good :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jama. I hope they will be helpful to someone. : )

      Delete
  4. Linda: So nice to get to know you a bit better during Georgia's class, and now through this blog post. Sharing our own stories is a challenge, but I think you will find a way for it to work. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen. It was wonderful getting to know you too. Keep writing!

      Delete
  5. Congrats, that's a terrific accomplishment! I love that you are enjoying yourself, as well as being focused on writing the best story you can and helping others with your own experience. 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tabatha. I'm trying hard to stay focused on the writing and not think too much about publication yet. That's hard for me!

      Delete
  6. Congratulations on getting your draft done, Linda. And wow -- how fantastic to have a family of writers. (What's the collective noun? A sheath of authors?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura. Yes, it is wonderful to share this passion with my sons.

      Delete
  7. It remains essential to read what you are trying to write. It is vital research. Your recent reading of Verse Novels will serve you well. Writers make decisions is a mantra I frequently use with kids. It works equally well for all writers. Like you I bit the bullet and completed my VN during lockdown. Like you I read a lot of verse novels prior to undertaking the word journey. It is now looking for a friendly publisher. Great action on your part Linda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alan. Good luck on finding a publisher for your VN! I look forward to reading it.

      Delete
  8. Linda, I am excited for you as you continue on your journey. I think it is helpful for both us the reader and you the author to keep us abreast of your work flow. Keep on writing and letting us know of your progress. Maybe you will even share a small portion of your work or how you got started. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Linda, did you receive my comment yet?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations! I am so impressed that you persevered and finished your first draft! Maybe some day we'll all get to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on finishing your draft, Linda. I'm so glad the stars and planets aligned for you. Maybe they will for me one day, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations! Your hard work is paying off!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing, Linda. I have such high hopes for your niv. I know your poems are so powerful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved reading your process. Glad we could be in class together. I am in the midst of revising my NIV. It's such a puzzle to write isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations on your completed draft, Linda! That is an amazing accomplishment. I love that you are sharing your writing journey and that you have a writing community in your own family. How cool is that? :)

    ReplyDelete