Linda Kulp Trout

Thursday, July 9, 2020

A Sad Reality


I hadn’t planned on posting this week, but something has been on my mind, and I want to share it.  I am heartbroken about the young children who died last weekend due to gun violence. Reading about the little girl riding in her mother's car, the boy playing in the yard, the girl visiting her grandma... sad beyond word. The story of the little boy watching fireworks hit me especially hard. How can it be that while I was enjoying fireworks, a child was dying?  How many innocent children and families have to suffer before our leaders take action to stop it?  Sometimes, it's just too much. This morning, I picked up a pencil and paper. This is what I wrote.



July 4th.


I stood in my backyard

and watched

as fireworks shot

through the night sky,

POP!

     POP!

          POPPING

into a rainbow of colors—

taking my breath away.




In another city,

in another backyard,

a small boy

watched

as fireworks shot

through the night sky,

     POP!

             POP!

                      POP—

from out of nowhere
shots
of a different kind
sliced the summer air

taking
his breath

away


©Linda Kulp Trout


Thank you to Ruth for hosting today's Poetry Friday.












29 comments:

  1. Tears. :-( (Thanks for sharing at the poetry party, Linda.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, it is a heavy topic...but we must keep these children in our thoughts. We have to make sure we keep pushing for a nation that cherishes their life and liberty....and breath.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda- yes, we all must keep the children in mind and change for the better.

      Delete
  3. Your post and heartbreaking poem prompted me to google, and I am appalled and in shock. How is this even possible? I am so so sad, hearing this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is totally heartbreaking and to think a perfect little child could be shot randomly, senselessly. It brings tears. Such tragedies must be acknowledged.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janice- the faces of these children have been on my mind all week. I guess I just needed to express what I have been feeling.

      Delete
  5. Your poem takes my breath away, as does this senseless act, thanks for sharing it with us Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gun violence really is overwhelming... "How many innocent children and families have to suffer before our leaders take action to stop it?" is a great question. Something could be done if there was the will to do it. Thanks, Linda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tabatha- I agree. Thank you for your comment.

      Delete
  7. So many 'can't breathe' these days it is staggering. Your poem is necessary to give voice to this tragedy and so many like it, Linda. Thank you for stepping into your grief to share your poem. Sending you light and love.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hard to imagine, hard to believe. Gun violence is thank God such a rarity in my country, it breaks my heart to imagine children like my own living in a world where just being alive puts them at risk. :'(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane- gun violence is out of control. Our children deserve better. Thank you for your comment.

      Delete
  9. The news is so heartbreaking lately with so many needless deaths. Children who lose their lives due to violence is a beyond belief notion but the reality is growing. Thank you for your contrasting viewpoints that hit home, Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Heartbreaking, Linda. Setting your poem on July 4, as people celebrate our country's ideals, is a powerful contrast with the final lines.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! You really know how to bring on the tears. What looks like a sweet poem with onomatopoeia becomes a nightmare at the end. I'm glad you wrote the commentary first so I was prepared. Such senseless loss of life is unacceptable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, I agree. Thank you for your comment.

      Delete
  12. Excellent, powerful, and heartbreaking poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, Maggie. It is so sad that this happens.

      Delete
  13. Excellent work!! This poem really hits you hard.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm going to borrow a bit of what April said about my poem -- "...along the way, our art helps us heal." But I want to add to that by saying the opposite. Maybe sometimes our art needs to help us stay angry. Angry enough to fight and speak out and vote (out).

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mary Lee- yes, we have to speak out and vote. xo

    ReplyDelete