Linda Kulp Trout

Saturday, April 2, 2016

Snippets, Poems, and Reflections Day 2: Thinking About Theme




Each day during National Poetry Month, I'll post a five-minute reflection about my journey as I try to shape the daily snippets I wrote for a February writing challenge (organized by Renee LaTulipee) into a collection of poems. I'll keep my reflections brief because I only have thirty minutes to devote to writing each day. I want to spend most of my time working on the poems, but I also need accountability and I'm hoping making my progress public will help with that. Committing to a daily blog post makes me nervous, but spring is the perfect time to grow. I just have to keep reminding myself to take it one post at time.




Today I printed all 29 snippets.  They are very short (3-8 lines) so I have a lot of white space on the page to jot some thoughts.  Then I read through them looking for possible themes. I noticed that most of the snippets are about nature and many focused on the same topic. I need to form a few of these into poems before I'll know the kind of collection (fiction or nonfiction) I want to create.

Then I used a technique I learned a few years ago as a client of the Mentors for Rent. I read through the snippets looking for the one I most wanted to work with today, and now I'm going back to start jotting notes to find out if this snippet might lead to a poem.

No comments:

Post a Comment