Linda Kulp Trout

Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Snippets, Poems, and Reflections Day 5:


Finding daily writing time has always been a challenge for me, but I think I've figured out a way to fit more writing in my day.  Each night before I go to bed, I look through my "snippets" and print out the one that intrigues me the most.  Then I carry my the snippet with me to school and work on it during my lunch time and while waiting for meetings to start.  Not only do I get a little revising done, this practice also helps keep the images fresh in my mind so when it's time to sit at the computer each evening, it's much easier to get started.  

Another thing that has helped me get started is to have a scheduled time to write each evening. Years ago when I taught elementary school, we had a 15 minutes period of DEAR time. Every day at exactly 12:00, everyone in the building dropped everything and read. Since it was part of our daily routine, we (students and teachers) came prepared and read. I started thinking that since DEAR time worked for me, I'd try to apply the same idea to writing.  Now, my Drop Everything and Write time is 6:00-6:30. I used to put off writing until I finished my evening chores, but by then I was always too exhausted to think let alone try to write. So, I decided to switch things up, write first and then make dinner, pack lunches, do laundry...    I am having one problem, once is start writing, I lose track of time and don't want to stop.  But, I do have chores that must be done. Maybe a timer would help. 

No comments:

Post a Comment