Linda Kulp Trout

Friday, October 7, 2022

"Hot Off the Press"

My internet is spotty this morning so I'm typing fast hoping to get this post written before I lose it again. Technology!  

WHAT IS A FRIEND? is a new middle grade poetry anthology edited by Sylvia Vardell and Janet Wong.   A Children's Book Council "Hot Off the Presses" selection that examines many forms of friendship.  It belongs in every classroom library and will be well-loved by middle grade readers.

I'm very excited to be a small part of this important book about friendship. I have always loved horses, and this photo made me think of the horse therapy farm near my home. It can be read from either the child's or the horse's point of view. I wanted the reader to be able to empathize with both of them.


I am grateful to Sylvia and Janet including my poem "Rescue" and for all the meaningful, heartfelt books they are putting out into the world. 

In the coming days, I'll share more about this beautiful book.  

A special thank you to Sarah Grace Tuttle for hosting Poetry Friday.

29 comments:

  1. Love your poem, Linda. The dual POV is so cool. Congrats on having your poem in the new Friendship anthology!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The anthology is full of wonderful poems!

      Delete
  2. What a clever and sweet poem. It feels unique that it can be read from two different pov's. Congratulations, Linda! Wonderful poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm glad you like it.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful! I had to wait until I was married to pursue my dream of owning a horse. Friend is a perfect name. Lots of talking, petting, sharing low talks...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Donna. I've never owned a horse, but I love seeing them in the horse farms near my house.

      Delete
  4. As a "horsey girl" growing up, I love this poem. (Alas, I could only read about horses, my parents didn't give me riding lessons)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a "horsey girl" too. I loved all the "horse" books!

      Delete
  5. What a tender poem, Linda. I like the exchange between the main characters in stanza 2.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linda this is a tender poem. I like the exchange of the characters in stanza 2.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, thank you for this poem! I definitely need to get an extra copy of this book so that I can send your poem to a friend who runs a horse rescue/therapy program. Congrats on being included in what looks like a fabulous anthology-- and happy Poetry Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah. You are going to love this book! Every poem is wonderful!

      Delete
  8. I ADORE this poem. Linda: you have a way of capturing deep universal feelings in the simplest words. This poem is so full and rich — I'm so grateful to you for writing it for our book!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for including it in your beautiful book. Over the years, I learned so much from you and your amazing poems!

      Delete
  9. Great work here! You are super talented!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This one is very poignant because very skilled, Linda. I think it might be good to say "kid" instead of "boy"--keeping it wiiiiiide open to admit any reader? Glad to be on the page with you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you, Heidi. Your suggestion is a good one! I'm grateful to share pages with you too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so beautiful, Linda. Really cuts to the heart, but in such a lovely, hopeful way. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The double point of view is really powerful here, Linda. Well done and congratulations on having your poem included in this new anthology!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm very grateful to be part of this book!

      Delete
  14. Congratulations! This is a poem that needs readers because there are readers who need this poem.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so delighted to be part of WHAT IS A FRIEND? with you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a soulful poem, Linda, that will connect with so many young readers!

    ReplyDelete