Linda Kulp Trout

Thursday, December 19, 2019

A Christmas Wish


Dear Santa,



We don’t have money for a Christmas tree.

We can’t buy presents for Mommy or me.



But—

I’ve heard of the magic you can do,

so I’m writing this secret note to you.


(Mommy would worry if she knew.)


Sometimes,

when she thinks I'm sleeping, I

hear my Mommy sit alone and cry.



Please help her find a job and then

maybe she will smile again.


And Santa, 

if you could bring me just one thing, 

this is what I would choose


one pair of not-too-tight

fit me just right 


shoes.


I know you have a lot of letters to read,

and there are things that other kids need.


So if you can’t make my wishes come true—

it's okay.


I'll still believe

in you.



©Linda Kulp Trout


Well, the poem still needs work, but I wanted to share it today because the topic is important to me.

Years ago, I overheard a conversation in my fifth-grade classroom that broke my heart.  A group of girls were talking about making their wish list for Christmas. One little girl just sat there listening. When her friend asked what was on her Christmas list, “J” lowered her eyes and said, “I don’t make a list anymore.”  Of course, the other girls wanted to know why.  “J” whispered, “We don’t have any money for presents.”  The bell rang, and the conversation ended, but “J’s” words stayed with me.


I knew “J’s” family and the hard times they’d been through.  Each year our faculty adopted several families in our school community for Christmas. That year, “J’s” family was one of them.  I’m sure there were many families like hers that we didn’t know about.


According to the Children’s Defense Fund, “about 1 in 6 children in America live in poverty.”  Those of us who are teachers don’t need statistics because these children are in our classrooms, and we see their struggle every day. Many of them are too afraid or too ashamed to ask for help.  I know I was. 


Growing up, I never wanted anyone to know how poor we were.  But I was one of the lucky ones. We were a big family, but no matter how tight money was, my mother somehow found a way to put presents of some sort under the tree.  


I’m grateful for the work of groups like The Salvation Army and Toys for Tots that help ensure millions of children have a gift to open Christmas morning. Still, I can’t help thinking about all the children who will wake up on Christmas without a single gift to unwrap.


A big thank you to my very talented friend, Buffy for hosting this week's Poetry Friday-The Almost Solstice Edition!


I wish all of you a joyous holiday and a happy, healthy new year!















19 comments:

  1. Excellent poem Linda! I really liked the content and the shoes part was really touching. Thank you for sharing. I agree, giving is important and taking a moment to lift other people up is not only time well spent, it is an investment in all our future. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tim I agree with you that lifting others up is an investment in our future. Have a great holiday!

      Delete
  2. Your poem is heartbreaking and lovely, Linda. A perfect kid's voice--and such faith in the face of poverty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Buffy. Young children have amazing faith!
      Happy holidays!

      Delete
  3. This poem and your memory hits home. I'm so ready for winter break that it's hard to remember that it's not a joyful time for all students. I'm thankful for the generosity of others too. I love to make sure kids get gifts when I can.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure you experience the same thing I did with children and poverty. Thank you for all you do to help. Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linda, what a touching poem that reminds me of the plight of many families. It is part of my tradition to buy and wrap many gifts for families to make their Christmas brighter. Every year, our church's giving tree stands as a tribute to all the families in our parish who give the gift of the Christmas spirit of kindness. May you continue to develop this poem with a sense of voice that you have captured.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, I'm sure your kindness is much appreciated by the families. Every child should have a gift to open on Christmas. Thank you for all you do for others. Have a wonderful holiday.

      Delete
  6. Linda: Thank you for this post and for turning our attention to those who truly need help. Wishing you all good things...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen. I hope you and yours have a joyous holiday!

      Delete
  7. Your poem brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for reminding us about the importance of gratitude and charity for those less fortunate. It really is a travesty that childhood poverty is as widespread as it is in our country. I agree with Carol -- you've nailed the voice in this poem.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Jama. I agree with you. I hope you and your family have a happy, healthy holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What Jama said - and thank you for bringing this voice to the holiday conversations.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your poem lovingly ends in belief and raising that to the top–beautiful, thanks for sharing it with us Linda, and the sad but so true story that inspired it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for this. I worked in a friend's library Friday. I was reminded that poverty makes this time of year difficult for children in many ways. Some are not even looking forward to the break because school is not only more stimulating, it's also safer.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This time of year is so hard for kids whose basic needs are not (or are barely) met, and yet the dominant cultural message is one of conspicuous consumption...

    ReplyDelete
  13. There is a conversation (argument, actually) in our district right now about the possibility of redrawing school boundaries to increase socioeconomic diversity (which I'm sure YOU know supports achievement). I'm watching a Facebook group opposing the forced busing that people imagine is going to happen, and I keep seeing terrible, entitled, ignorant posts from my own neighbors. One included this paragraph:

    "Not to mention the mental health of the students being driven across the county and put into schools where kids are more privileged. How great would it feel to be surrounded by everything your parents can’t afford to give you and watching those who’s parents can. That creates resentment and hate. “Why do they have and I can’t?” The point is to get kids better education, not build anger with a constant reminder of what their parents can’t offer them. If we think we have a problem with school shootings now, I can’t imagine what will be when the resentment sets in."

    Could you ever have imagined??? Thank you, Linda, for speaking for those children with care and respect. When will our nation understand? (ps I think your poem is very close to finished. It's painfully lovely.)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Interesting that I didn't get to your post until today. Yesterday my husband and I volunteered at the food pantry in our small community handing out gifts to local families who had requested help with xmas gift for their children. There is so much we take for granted. Thank you for capturing much in your poem. -- Christie @ https://wonderingandwondering.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete