Linda Kulp Trout

Thursday, October 4, 2018

THE POETRY OF US

I am thrilled to have a poem in a brand new anthology edited by J Patrick Lewis. THE POETRY OF US: MORE THAN 200 POEMS THAT CELEBRATE THE PEOPLE, PLACES, AND PASSIONS OF THE UNITED STATES.  The photographs and poems are gorgeous.  What an honor to see my poem among the poems of many of my poetry heroes!


My poem is about Helen Keller. So much has been written about her, I wanted to find something that most people may not know. I did some research and learned there was quite a lot I didn't know about her.   One fact that especially struck me was that she "listened" to the radio. A deaf woman listening to the radio?  How could that be?  I knew this would be the topic of my poem.


I hope "Listening" will inspire children to learn more about Helen Keller.

A big thank you to Tabatha for hosting Poetry Friday on her blog The Opposite of Indifference.

19 comments:

  1. Oh, my goodness...how interesting. And, what a lovely photo to illustrate your poem. Many congratulations. The book is gorgeous. I'm happy that you are included too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda. Every page is amazing. I feel so fortunate to be included.

      Delete
  2. Digging up a unique fact led you to a unique poem--lovely, Linda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Buffy. Your "Tulip Time Festival" is gorgeous!

      Delete
  3. So many Poetry Friday folks are included in this collection, it just looks so wonderful! I don't live in the US, but I hope my library will get a copy anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your library gets this one too. I haven't read all the poems yet, but so far I love every one of them!

      Delete
  4. It's beautiful, Linda, "my heart thrums". I love that you used the first person for this. Congrats for your poem in this new wonderful anthology.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful poem Linda. I did not know this either! Congratulations on being included in this beautiful book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Sally. I was amazed at all the things I did not know about Helen Keller.

      Delete
  6. Fantastic -- what an amazing anthology....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Linda, I feel I am among my poetry heroes. I love "my fingers listen...my heart thrums." A beautiful elegy for Helen Keller. This book is overflowing with goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your "Louisiana Bayou Song" is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like others, I'm captivated by your words - "Each impassioned note
    satisfies silence in the soul:"
    Gorgeous! Congrats on being included in this anthology.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fascinating. I did not know that about Helen Keller. It reminds me of an interview I heard recently with an astro-physicist who went blind. Since she could no longer see the graphs of data, she converted each data point to notes along the scale and listens to the data.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a "glorious surprise"! Reading a poem about Helen Keller is a treat. She is one of my heroes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a soulful and inspiring take on Helen Keller, this line especially spoke to me, "Satisfies silence in the soul," congrats Linda!

    ReplyDelete