Linda Kulp Trout

Thursday, June 14, 2018

A FATHER'S DAY POEM

My sons were fortunate to grow up with a wonderful father who always found time for them and put their needs ahead of his own.  He made a positive difference in their lives.

Now that my son Tim is a father, I see many of the same qualities in him.  Even with a demanding career, he finds time to play games, do crafts, create new recipes, and do lots of other fun things with his children.

Sadly, not all children are so lucky.  It is heartbreaking to think about children who are growing up without knowing their dad. Father's Day can be a difficult and lonely time for them.  I wrote this poem for them.


Father’s Day


I don’t remember him.
(He left when I was three.)

He never ever calls.
He never visits me.

I hug my pillow close
pretending it’s my dad.

Growing up without him—
makes my heart feel sad.

If he were here with me,
I know what I would say:

I still love you, Daddy.
Happy Father’s Day.

-Linda Kulp Trout


A big thank you to Karen for hosting Poetry Friday this week.






16 comments:

  1. Oh, my heart breaks for those children who grow up without a father who loves them as your husband and son love their children. Your poem gives voice to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful and heart-breaking poem. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What heartfelt words. Your grandchildren are fortunate. It's so important to remember those who are lonely on days like this. Thank you for doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bittersweet poem, Linda. I was lucky to always have my dad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linda you touched upon a sad but true occurrence in life. We usually do not think of the children without fathers on Fathers Day. Enjoy your weekend with your grandchildren and their father.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linda you touched upon a sad but true occurrence in life. We usually do not think of the children without fathers on Fathers Day. Enjoy your weekend with your grandchildren and their father.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sad poem, the sentiment only too true for so many. Nice to hear about your son and see the photo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A tender poem, and thoughtful to remember those children without fathers. Wishing you and your family a Happy Father's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A sad poem; sadder still, due to the small hope that clings in those last lines.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a sad poem, but how touching that your thoughts are with those who do not/did not have the gift of a loving, devoted father. Your grandchildren are so fortunate to be so loved!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am a single woman who adopted my boys when they were 7 and 9. They grew up without a dad, and even though they had some wonderful coaches who really stepped up and cared for them, it left a huge hole in their lives and in their hearts. I feel it now, more than ever. They are young adults and need a dad to show them how to be men. Your children and grandchildren are very blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a loving heart you have, Linda, putting yourself into others' shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sweet and simple, Linda. I love seeing the picture of your son with his kids.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The warm, loving photo of your son and grandkids is quite a contrast with the poignancy of your poem, which is really appropriate for Father's Day since there is plenty of both. Thanks, Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! I missed seeing this a few months ago. Great poem!

    ReplyDelete