Linda Kulp Trout

Thursday, September 8, 2016

My Poetry Workshop Adventure Part 1

I only have time for a quick post because I'm busy packing for my trip to the Highlights Foundation.  The workshop I’m attending is The Heart and Craft of Poetry.  Just the title alone makes me swoon with anticipation!  

A poetry dream team of Rebecca Kai Dotlich, Georgia Heard, Rebecca Davis, and a special Skype visit by our beloved, Mr. Lee Bennett Hopkins will immerse us in poetry from Sunday-Thursday.  I’ve wanted to do this for sooooo long; I plan to soak up every single word! I can’t wait to learn from these poetry heroes who I’ve admired forever!



                                                 my home for a few days


I’m also looking forward to meeting some of my Poetry Friday buddies including: Heidi Bee Roemer, Charles Waters, Buffy Silverman, RobinHood Black, Linda Baie. I apologize for not remembering everyone who told me they would be there, but I look forward to meeting every one them!  I’m thrilled (and a little nervous) to be in the company of so many brilliant poets! I just know I’m going to learn a lot from them too.

For the past two weeks, I’ve been pondering what to bring with me. We were sent a list:
·         3 poems to polish (not sure which ones I’ll take just yet)
·         a notebook (I’m bringing several, you know, for all that soaking!)
·         one book of children’s poetry (That’s a tough one. I have so many favorites. I’ll bring several and decide later which one to share.)
·         one small object (Oh, I think I have that one covered.)

I’m also going to take my current WIP because the workshop location will provide the perfect inspiration!

One more thing I’m going to take with me is the advice of my very wise mentor, Laura Purdie Salas  and make a list of goals for the workshop. (Thanks, Laura!)  

This will likely be my one and only opportunity to attend a Highlights workshop so I want to make the most of it.  I’d love to hear your tips and/or advice for a successful workshop experience.  Being a newbie,  I’m open to suggestions! I've never done anything like this so I am beyond excited!   I'll tell you all about my adventure in a future blog post. Let’s just hope I don’t embarrass myself too much with all my swooning!

Be sure to stop by The Poem Farm where my talented friend, Amy has today's Poetry Friday roundup. 



16 comments:

  1. I'm excited for you! Sounds like you are really going to make the most of the experience. Looking forward to hearing about it later :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tabatha. Honestly, I never thought I'd get to do this, but after years of hoping, I'm finally getting to go. Sometimes dreams do come true!

      Delete
  2. What an inspiring experience, looking forward to hearing your thoughts so I can live vicariously through them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not quite sure what to expect, but I'm sure it will be wonderful. It looks like the weather just might cooperate too!

      Delete
  3. I'm so excited, too, Linda, and to meet you! It's my third time, but I don't really have any advice. They take very good care of everyone, smiles & food & space. Time to be together and to be alone to write is special too. And, FYI, I'm in a flurry about what books to bring too, guess I'll choose at the last minute! See you Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're going to have so much fun together! I can't believe I'm getting to do this! Some dreams really do come true!

      Delete
  4. You have such a strong voice, Linda, I'm really happy to hear that you're able to spend time writing, writing, and writing in such a great creative environment!! Looking forward to reading the poems that will come out of your time at the workshop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your words mean so much to me, Janet. Thank you for your constant support and encouragement. You already know this, but YOU are one of my poetry superheroes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So jealous of my PF Peeps who will be writing together soon...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have a wonderful time, Linda! I'm so glad you're getting the chance to do this! My only advice: allow yourself to relax, and don't feel you have to accomplish everything while you are at the retreat. And don't tell yourself this is the "only" time you'll ever get to do something like this. You may be surprised at what the future has to offer! Who knows, maybe you'll be teaching at a similar event one day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Linda, I'm so glad you have the chance to go. My advice is not to put too much pressure on yourself while you're there! Relax and enjoy! And -- you never know, maybe you will have another chance to do something similar someday. We never know what the future will bring. Perhaps you'll be teaching at a retreat one day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so jealous! What an amazing experience. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Linda, this is so wonderful! Good luck and have a wonderful experience!!

    Sue Billings

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm also jealous! I went to my first workshop in May and it was wonderful.

    I second the advice about having some goals. I went with no goals and an overflowing bucketful of thinking everyone else was so much further along in their journey.

    Set some goals now. Spend a moment or two in your cabin adjusting your goals upon arrival and then adjust as necessary each morning or evening. That's what I will do next time!

    Be ready for some hiking....the woods and trails and roads are rural and perfect for wool gathering giving your mind time to unwind from the intense amount of energy and excitement you'll be feeding it.

    Don't think that you'll have great internet -- you might -- but not everyone does. This worked great for me. But, prepare your peeps at home for the fact that you are going out of pocket for this time.

    Enjoy the gourmet, round the clock food. Seriously, there needs to be a cook book from that place.

    Enjoy.....immerse.....grow. You will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been thinking about you this week and so look forward to reading the poems and ideas that grew from your nourishing time away. I love your voice. You are a generous writer. Welcome home! xx

    ReplyDelete