Linda Kulp Trout

Wednesday, January 20, 2016

JOURNEY TO THE PRESENT

This week for Spiritual Journey Thursday, we are writing about Margaret’s One Little Word PRESENT.



Staying present is hard for me. A born worrier, I’m usually ruminating over the past or  the future.  Too often, I’m stuck in the “what ifs” and lose sight of “what is.”  On top of that, I fill my days with so many chores, obligations, and expectations, that I rarely have time to spend on the activities I love.

These lyrics from an Alabama song pretty much describe my life.

I'm in a hurry to get things done
Oh I rush and rush until life's no fun
All I really gotta do is live and die
But I'm in a hurry and don't know why.

Just reading those words make me exhausted! 

It’s those moments when I allow myself to watch hummingbirds dart from flower to flower, admire a sunset, or sit in my rocking chair and write in my journal that my spirit feels lighter, freer, more alive. 

So, this year I’m working on slowing down a bit and enjoying the journey.  It will be a challenge, but I don’t want to someday look back at my life, and realize I wasn’t present.



This poem is a good reminder for me to be sure I'm in the picture. 

The Vacation
BY WENDELL BERRY
Once there was a man who filmed his vacation.
He went flying down the river in his boat
with his video camera to his eye, making
a moving picture of the moving river
upon which his sleek boat moved swiftly
toward the end of his vacation. 

You can read the rest of the poem here.


Wishing all of you a beautiful journey!


Holly has links to others who are participating in the Thursday Spiritual Journey.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for all the inspiration and help your post has provided for us to live "what is" and not the "what if" lives. Interesting! I just shared those words in response to Carol V's post; those words struck me so powerfully when I heard them yesterday. And now that I just saw them in your post, the concept is reinforced and emphasized for me. You've given me much to think about and to come to honest terms with. Too much "what-iffing" and not enough appreciating and trusting, not enough peaceful "what-ising." God bless you, and thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could relate to the Wendell Berry poem! I often think of that when I'm trying to videotape or take pictures at an event. I'm grateful for a record of the event, but I often feel like I missed the real thing! When Libby got married over the summer, I vowed I wouldn't take any pictures since there was already a professional photographer and friends taking candids. I'm so glad I made that decision! I felt like I was really present. For the most part. Ha. Good luck on your year of slowing down and enjoying the journey. We all need to do that more!

    BTW, your link on my post is faulty. It's not taking us to this blog. I don't want people to miss your wise words!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many times we feel like life is quickly passing us by. I chose the word present for this reason. Also because I have a daughter getting married. I want to be present to her without being overbearing. Like Holly, I won't be taking pictures. We will hire someone for that. Sometimes, though, taking pictures helps me be present. When I take pictures of nature, I stop and notice. Thanks for writing about my little word.

    ReplyDelete