Linda Kulp Trout

Thursday, January 2, 2014

Celebrating

     
Today I'm celebrating more than a new year, I'm also celebrating my birthday!   This feels like a big year for me because exactly one year from today (January 2, 2015), I'll turn 60!   Yep, the big 6-0!   Wow!  Even as I type these words, I can hardly believe it! 

I recently heard an interview with Oprah talking about how she felt about the new year and her upcoming 60th. birthday. She said that she's never felt better about her life. "Every year you have another chance to try again to get it right."  I like that.

Last night I got a birthday email from my son that said, "it's the beginning of the life you always wanted."  I think that is a great way to think about the transitions in our life, they are new beginnings and worth celebrating!

With retirement just a few years away; I've been thinking about what’s next.  Of course my family will continue to be my main focus, but I also want to put more effort into achieving my writing goals. I've put them on the back burner for far too long.  I'd also like to blog more often on Poetry Friday. I love being part of this community, but I often worry that I don't have anything interesting enough to post. I'm trying to get over that and let myself have fun with it.  I have a tendency to talk myself out of the things I want to do, so that's another area for me to work on this year.

Having goals and pursuing a dream keeps the heart young. I chose to share this poem because it reminds me that that being old is more than just a number, it's how we choose to look at life. 


                                       How Old Are You?
                                  by
                                 H. S. Fritsch

          
 
Age is a quality of mind.
If you have left your dreams behind,
If hope is cold,
If you no longer look ahead,
If your ambitions' fires are dead --
Then you are old.


But if from life you take the best,
And if in life you keep the jest,
If love you hold;
No matter how the years go by,
No matter how the birthdays fly--
You are not old.

(This poem is in public domain.)
             
Next week, I'll share my One Little Word for 2014.  I put a lot of thought into the word I want to guide me through the year.   I think it's a great word for where I am right now in my life, and I can't wait to share it with you.  How about you? What is your One Little Word.

 

Betsy is hosting today's  Poetry Friday over at I Think in Poems.

19 comments:

  1. Can't wait for you to reveal your OLW for 2014. You are definitely not old as this poem points out! Keep dreaming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Betsy. There are times when my body reminds me I'm not a kid anymore, but I can't imagine a life without dreams. : )

      Delete
  2. Now that is a great attitude with which to greet the new birthday year - whatever the age! Looking for my OLW, still, and also to learning about the words others have chosen. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tara, I'm excited to read the OLW that others have chosen too. It's so much fun to follow them throughout the year.

      Delete
  3. I'm choosing OLW for the first time this year. I've been living with mine for a few days, and I think it will do just fine!

    If you think about it, you are actually beginning to live your 60th year. On your birthday next year, you will celebrate it's completion. So...ENJOY becoming the best 60 year-old you can be!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I never thought it that way, but you are right. At least I don't have to write that number down as my age just yet. Actually, I'm very grateful for the gift of growing older. : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday, Linda - Sounds like you're got a very positive attitude to take with you into your 60's. I beat you to it by a few years and have to admit I had mixed feelings about it - "60 years old" sounded like something to be said of my grandmother, not me. Then I remembered I was a grandmother!! and it all turned rosy...I'm loving it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie. I'm a grandma too so maybe it won't be so bad to be 60! : )

      Delete
  6. Happy Birthday, Linda. I have a sketch bought a few years ago that asks the question, "How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?" Interesting to think about. Thanks for the poem. I am one of those ladies I used to say was 'old', & now I'm surprised, I don't feel old. I hope you enjoy your OLW. I haven't chosen yet, but looking...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, Linda. I used to think this age was "old," but now not so much. : ) I guess it's all about perspective. Good luck choosing your OLW. I know you'll choose a great one!

      Delete
  7. "Every year you have another chance to try again to get it right." I love that--it feels like a way to free yourself from regret. And since I'm a year behind you in chasing the big 6-0, it's a chance I'm eager to take. Looking forward to your OLW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Buffy, I loved that quote too. I like the idea that each year brings a new chance to figure out what we want to do next!

      Delete
  8. Dear Linda, I think you are getting it right RIGHT NOW. Thank you for sharing this and happy belated birthday! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so sweet, Irene! I don't know if I'm getting it right, but I'm sure trying to figure it all out! : )

      Delete
  9. Happy belated birthday, Linda! I am late getting around to all the PF posts because I was busy getting ready to celebrate one of my children's birthdays today :-) She thinks it's a great time to have a b'day because then you have something to look forward to after Christmas.
    I hope you do blog more on PF in the new year -- it's always nice to have you here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tabitha. I'm sure with a great mom like you, your daughter has a wonderful birthday!

      Delete
  10. I agree with your poem. I also found myself nodding to some of your tendencies, like talking myself out of things I'd like to try. I hope your dreams become clearer and seem more possible as you near the time to put muscle into them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you, Violet. We'll both have to work on talking ourselves into things instead of out of them! : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am glad to have you and Oprah as good company. We will get it right! Yay for more poetry and poetry Friday posts!

    ReplyDelete